Saturday, March 1, 2008

Lots of Talk






Hannah and I have had lots of dialogue this year about friendship. She is at the age when some of those stable friendships from little girlhood start to change. It's hard when she comes home from school and shares that someone has said or done something hurtful. My human side wants to run out and protect her, sometimes have a word or two with one who has wronged her. She is at the age where it is important to teach her how to deal with unkind people and to do it as God would have her do. I have told her that the best book on how to deal with others is the bible. I did come across a neat book called Every Teen Girl's Little Pink Book on Girlfriends. Sometimes in the evenings before bed, we'll read a page or two and apply it to something that has happened recently. We recently read the three marks of a true friend which are: honesty, dependability and respect. We are called to demonstrate these to our friends as well, not only expect it from others.
One issue that I'm trying to figure out myself, is how to walk the fine line of standing up for yourself when others are mean, yet still follow what Jesus would do. Often, that is turning the other cheek. I struggle with that myself sometimes because as humans, we want revenge...we want to get 'em back! But no, we are told to love our enemies : (Matthew 5:44) But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
(Luke 6:35 )
But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.
Even though I've already lived through and survived the "middle school years," it is my heart's desire to do anything I can to help the road be a little less bumpy for her than it was for me. I am convinced that being involved in activities, participating in a good youth group, keeping your eyes fixed on Jesus and having involved parents may give her a better chance of staying out of trouble. I'm finding that having a daughter who is turning into a beautiful young woman is exciting, challenging and terrifying!

No comments: